Pages

Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Time Crunch Cultural Immersion

After glancing through my Facebook newsfeed last night, I was struck by this Elite Daily article. I'd recommend everyone read it; it basically describes the differences between going on a vacation and traveling. Vacation involves relaxation and getaway while travel means immersing oneself in a specific city/language/culture and living like the locals. 




I am one of the lucky few who can call herself a traveler. Spending one week in Rome is very different from my sixteen weeks. However, the opportunity to truly live in another country isn't exactly an option for many people. So, I present to you my tips for becoming a traveler (specifically in Europe) even when on a short trip. 



Chat with the locals in their language.
When you enter a shop, say good morning/afternoon to the worker(s). In Italy, it's seen as rude when you don't greet the shopkeeper or ask, "Come stai?" Making the effort to exchange a quick greeting in a foreign language is something I as well as every real traveler experienced practically every day. Muster up the courage and just go for it. Usually, people really appreciate the attempt.



Be flexible.
So you're lost in Paris? Missed the only train to a small Italian town? Got caught in a torrential downpour while at the Vatican for a papal audience (see above)? Rather than worry, let go and embrace the positives. Travelers learn to go with the flow because things don't always (honestly, rarely) go according to plan. If you have to ask for directions, follow the previous point and ask in the country's native language.




Blend in.
This was hinted at in the article, but I think it makes a bigger difference than you'd think. Wear neutral clothing and leave the shorts and sandals at home. Europeans place a bigger emphasis on dressing nicely. They also tend to dress for the season, not the weather. Yes, that means wear a coat during March in Italy even if it's 70 degrees outside. 





Research places to visit that are off the beaten path.
My two favorite sights in Rome are the Knights of Malta keyhole and Via Margutta. I can honestly say I know about these things solely because I lived in Rome and had the chance to see relatively unknown things the city has to offer. Look up rarely-visited spots to see before you head out. You won't see tourists milling around; you'll experience a more local feel. Adventure outside the center of the city. You'll go home with stories that are unique rather than the norm.


While my Facebook continues to be flooded with pictures from others' European adventures and weekend escapes, I'll continue to remind myself that I can proudly call myself a world traveler. 




Gina

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Amazing! Love these photos. You're right--there's totally a difference. ;) Often times, I have to take a vacation after traveling, haha :)

    xx
    Kelly
    kellyinthecity.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelly! It was a great 4 months :) And I agree about needing a vacation haha!
      I went abroad through Loyola Chicago and met so many people who adore the city. I know you'll love living in Chicago too!

      Delete