Pages

Thursday, January 22, 2015

Turning a New Leaf in College

Today, one of my close friends posted on Facebook a quote I said freshman year via Timehop (not going to lie, I'm not really sure what Timehop is or how it works, so yeah). After reading the quote, I was pretty shocked. Since I'm not feeling the best about what I said, I'm not going to post it here but the gist was a very pessimistic view of the state of the environment. 

Sure, I'm still a bit pessimistic about the environment and the fate we as humans are pushing it toward, but I realized how much I've grown in the past three years at Creighton after rereading the quote. 

For starters, this friend and I were acquaintances (at best) this time freshman year. We had just become sisters through Kappa Kappa Gamma, but her closeness to my roommate is what spurred our frequent interactions. Three years later, she is one of my closest friends. We've both done a lot of growing up along the way, but our friendship still amazes me because of how unlikely I believed it to be from the start. 

Another aspect of growth I've seen in myself are my beliefs. While back then, I didn't really care about the environment, I've now made sure to fulfill my duty, recycling when I can and making sure to turn the lights off in my apartment when I leave. The little things can actually add up to make a difference, something I never would have believed when I was a freshman. Maybe going to a liberal arts school got to me or maybe I just surround myself with people who are passionate about bettering the world. Regardless, both factors have changed me for the better, shaping my views and challenging my beliefs. Being at Creighton has continually forced me to open my mind to new possibilities and ways of thinking. 

For those who have known me since freshman year or even before college, I've always had the same personality: quiet, smart, and intensely loyal. But something new that I see in myself, a trait I've grown into that I lacked before, is confidence. Now, I don't mean confidence in the sense of feeling prepared for a test or feeling ready to take on a leadership role in an extracurricular activity. 

No, I mean confidence in the sense that I know who I am, who I want to be, and the impact I want to make. 

I don't worry about what people may say about me, because I know I have friends and family who will protect me and stand with me through anything. 

I don't have to prove my beauty through my physical appearance because I wear my heart on my sleeve and exhibit what inner beauty is through my actions. 

Merriam-Webster defines confidence as, "a feeling or belief that you can do something well or succeed at something." Well, you know what that "something" is I do well? What I succeed at?

Life. Laughing. Being a loving, caring person. 

Being ME

Now, you all deserve a big thank you and round of applause. Because of you, I am able to be me without fear or apprehension. I don't have to worry about being rejected because I may not be the most gung-ho person when it comes to saving the environment. You challenge me to be the best version of me every day. You inspire me to know myself, be myself, and accept myself. You allow me to grow. For that, I am forever grateful. 


...And on a completely different note, tomorrow is going to be a wonderful day because I'm going on a steak crawl. Free steak? YES, PLEASE.


Gina

No comments:

Post a Comment