Pages

Sunday, February 1, 2015

Changing Your View on a Class You Dislike

We are officially 2.5 weeks into school here at Creighton and the first round of exams is approaching (say it isn't so!). By now, I have developed certain expectations for the six classes I'm taking this semester. The subject material ranges widely, from reading the works of great poets like Plato and Aristotle in philosophy to observing animals in my animal behavior lab.

But, there's always that one class you really dislike. 

All my friends could clearly tell you which class this semester I truly dislike. I complain about it all the time. There's too much work, the teacher grades to hard, the class doesn't interest me, etc etc (honestly, I could continue on).

I've found myself in a pretty negative mood recently, and I honestly think the class is the reason.

So how do I get myself out of this funk? Here are some tips I've come up with to try and get me through the class with a more positive outlook!

***

Understand there's a reason this class is a requirement for my major.
As a biology course, this class is at the core of the field. And while I'm interested in other topics within biology, I know that the point of my major isn't to focus in on one aspect of biology. I'm supposed to come away with a degree and a diverse background in the field.

Stay on top of readings and study a little every day.
Doing this will make the course seem less daunting and less work if I'm staying on track and devoting an hour or two to the class a few times each week.

Feel confident; this is one of my last upper level biology courses, while it's the first for most in the class!
Everyone always dreads this class. But most students who take it are sophomores. I'm a senior and have a lot more background not only in biology, but also in knowing how to study for an upper level course.


Do you have any other tips or words of encouragement to push me through? I'd love to hear them!


Gina

No comments:

Post a Comment