Pages

Sunday, July 27, 2014

A Place to Call Home

It's only been a week, but I've easily assimilated to the New York City lifestyle. I grocery shop multiple times a week, take the subway and buses, plus live in a studio apartment. 




On orientation day for my NYU Medical Center internship, I met my occupational therapy supervisor who I'll be observing for the next few weeks. She and all the other therapists who deal with hands and upper extremities were so welcoming and continue to teach me new things daily about different patients and their unique cases. Also, I was granted a lab coat to wear around all day; keep in mind though, it is an odd brown/beige color (picture soon to come).

On Tuesday, I practiced making a splint (the thing you wear after a cast) on my supervisor. It was probably one of the coolest things to get to do, and on my second day no less! Afterwards, I enjoyed a taco dinner with my best friend from high school who's also living in the city.



With the first five days of work over, it was off to the beach for me! 



Can you imagine spending a getaway weekend any other way?

With some time to kill this afternoon, I explored Dylan's Candy Bar and Roosevelt Island with a friend from Creighton. Despite the heat emanating from the concrete jungle, the views were worth it.







So with one week in the books, time to continue the learning experience both in the OT office and on the streets of the city!

Gina

No comments:

Post a Comment