Pages

Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Time Flies in the City

Happy Tuesday!

Another week is in the bag. How is time going by so fast!?

The last week was filled with so many fun memories, including another fabulous beach weekend and two movies in Bryant Park.













Since I'm already over halfway done with my internship, I feel like I owe it to all of you to explain how my program works and what a typical day is like for me. I'm an occupational therapy intern through NYU's Health Career Opportunity Program (HCOP for short). There are about fifty other college students from across the country in the program, spread throughout different NYUMC departments (such as OT, speech pathology, and nursing to name a few).  For four weeks, each student observes in a specific setting to really get a feel for what that part of the field is like. 

I'm with the hand occupational therapists at an outpatient NYU clinic. People come in needing therapy for all kinds of injuries, from sprained bones to post-surgical procedures. I've seen how to evaluate a new patient and decide a treatment plan for regular ones. Even though I've only been observing for two weeks, I've already seen multiple patients make significant improvement! After a few hours observing, all the program participants attend lectures and discussions facilitated by healthcare professionals in the fields students are observing. 

I have learned so much, and continue to learn more every day. I'd recommend this program to anyone who's interested in a career in healthcare, but is unsure exactly what field to enter.


Hope your weekend was as relaxing as mine!

Gina

No comments:

Post a Comment